Monday, December 14, 2009

Toys Abound!

Here's a video I shot of the most recent "toy" (wedding) I attended. Just go ahead and turn off the sound because it's so ridiculously loud in there that it immediately blew out the microphone on my camera. It's not exactly a masterpiece of film, being shot on an outdated Pentax 5mp that Kris was kind enough to donate to my mission of showing off Azerbaijan. However, you can see people dancing, eating, drinking, and generally sitting around not talking because the music is too damn loud to do anything else. One interesting aspect is that everyone is expected to make a "donation", i.e. pay for their seat. I feigned ignorance and pretended like I didn't understand, then beat a beeline for the door when this came up. As it is I'm more broke than most of the people in my town, and I am physically incapable of eating and drinking what would be the equivalent of 30 manat (the standard "donation") worth of food and vodka here anyways. For example, at a restaurant you can get 5 kebabs, a full set of salad, pickles, cheese and greens, mineral water, fruit juice, sparkling pear juice, a bottle of wine and about 3 liters of vodka for that much money. Personally I hope I am never able to consume that much of anything in one sitting ever in my life. I just don't have the willpower to aspire to that level of gluttony.

1 comment:

Bill Willingham IV, Esquire said...

Haha, that looks fucking great. I couldn't pack away that much, either, but getting smashed and dancing around like a moron sounds fucking rad.

There's no way I'd be able to look depressed while doing it, so they might toss me out.

Oh, hey, I met your buddy Cappy last weekend. That is a quality fucking man, right there.

I'm putting together another package of music and shit for you soon.